Friday 8 July 2011

Ragnarok DS (DS) Review


June 1st 2003 a MORPG named Ragnarok: Online and it quickly became popular. Its still alive and kicking today in year 2011. I really wanted to play this game because of its good reviews and pretty graphics however I didn't really want to pay/I didn't have the money to pay for a monthly fee. BUT THEN last year I saw an ad in a Nintendo Power for the oh so shiny Ragnarok DS. Was I finally going to be able to get a taste of the Ragnarok craze?


Story:
Okay the storyline in this game is pretty awful. Its incredibly predictable. Like, I knew when who was going to get hurt ,or run off, or get kidnapped, or have a temper tantrum, you get the picture. I'm not going to go into details but the story is the weakest part of this game. Don't buy it if your looking for some riveting life changing tale.

Points: 3 No originality = almost no points

Characters:
Lets see, A main character who dad is an adventurer, a valiant knight who's afraid of monsters, a witch with an attitude problem, and a thief who has a soft spot for people.
....
I give up.

Points: 3 again no originality = almost no points


Graphics:
All fine and dandy here. They look great, as long as you don't zoom in on them. The art work is very pretty too.

Points: 7 They stay original to its predecessor

Sound:
I liked this game's sound track. I can't really explain it but listening to each track fills me with nostalgia. Now If I could only find the Boss battle theme on YouTube for my listening pleasure. The sound effects in the game are quiet but hear able which is another point to my good-o-meter.

Points: 8 nice music and unannoying effects, good job

Mechanics:
Everything is stylus controlled which works really well and doesn't work well at the same time. I can control my main character no problem but when the game suddenly expects me to give commands to all my party too because the AL sucks then we run into problems. I can't point-and-click two things at the same time game! Stop trying to force it on me and FIX your STUPID AL!. Also would it KILL the game to get me a teleport spell or something to take me automatically back to town? I have to walk all the way back every. Single. Time. I don't know if maybe I chose a different class i'd learn some ground breaking spell but I was a blacksmith class because I wanted to be. The whole Mechanics of this game is tedious and boring.

Points: 4 I don't like games that feel like a chore to play

Lasting appeal:
Like I said above, this game was tedious, boring, and annoying so therefore it lost its lustre very quickly. I MIGHT have kept playing it if my ONLY healer didn't get kidnapped and left me screwed for all eternity. It always a kick in the stomach when your only healer dies, or get kidnapped, or turns evil on you or something, because your now reliant on yourself and potions which utterly stinks.

Points: 2 Ouch

Overall:
This game kind of felt thrown together so they could suck some more money out of the Ragnarok Online audience, in fact i'm pretty sure that was the only reason for making this game because it came with limited edition items only obtainable by buying the game and redeeming the code within the DS case. If thats the only thing this game is good for then I don't think it really says a lot for prospecting gamers like myself. Actually, I want my 25$ back.

Points: 3 Boooo!

TOTAL: 30/70

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this game, just don't


-Anna

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! This game is garbage, you should try the original mmorpg, now it's even free to play cause Ragnarok 2 is on the way :)

    ReplyDelete